The Erickson Veterinary Hospital believes that effective animal health care should protect and maintain the health and wellbeing of your pet through every stage of their life, not just when a problem arises. That’s why we practice a medical philosophy called Pet Wellness Care.
This is a comprehensive, holistic approach that involves nurturing both the body and mind with a strong emphasis on preventive animal health care. It includes using diagnostic testing to prevent disease and illness before it occurs and designing a healthy lifestyle and diet for your pet to keep them active and vigorous at all ages.
We’ll partner with you to create a personalized wellness program just for your pet based on breed, age, and physical condition.
What Is Pet Wellness Care?
An effective pet wellness care program includes several elements, all intended to promote good health and to discover signs and symptoms of underlying disease, congenital defects, and injuries to provide early treatment before serious damage occurs.
- Annual Wellness Exams – Your pet should have a complete physical examination at least once a year throughout their life’s journey from youth into adulthood and old age. Your vet will assess the condition of every part of your pet’s body inside and out and test their blood pressure and respiration.
- Vaccinations – Having your pet vaccinated against the diseases they are most likely to contract is a vitally important part of pet wellness care.
- Parasite Control – Intestinal parasites are very common in pets. They can make your pet miserable and are very detrimental to their health. Fortunately, they are easy to control once detected.
- Dental Examinations – Oral disease and the associated infections can cause mouth pain, tooth loss, and damage to internal organs. A thorough annual dental exam and cleaning is the best way to prevent it.
- Spay And Neuter – The spay and neuter procedure provides many health benefits for your pet, including eliminating or reducing the risk of cancer and other reproductive organ diseases as well as undesirable behaviors.
Other important aspects of pet wellness care include weight management and nutritional assessment and planning. Your vet will advise you on a program you can follow at home to keep your pet in top physical and mental health.
If you’d like to learn more about the Pet Wellness Care program at the Erickson Veterinary Hospital in Chico, CA, simply fill out our online form and we’ll get you scheduled for an appointment.